Jeremy Waldrop blogs a very nice article about installting Windows Server 2008 as an ESX Template.
Find out more on >> http://jeremywaldrop.wordpress.com
NOTE – VMware Virtual Center 2.5 Update 4 is required to use Guest Customizations with Windows 2008.
1. Use an ISO for faster OS setup.
2. Build a new VM that has at least 1 GB RAM and a 20 GB drive.
3. Attach the Windows 2008 ISO to the CD/DVD drive and set it to connect at power on.
9. Save, exit and install Windows 2008, during the install choose either Standard or Enterprise.
10. On first boot up after install set the Administrator password.